Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Fucking Flu and Other Stories.

Finally. I think I'm recovering nicely from the flu that got me last week.

I was ready to go to the hospital because I was sneezing up blood. That's bad considering I'm already on three types of blood thinners - two types of anti-platelets (Plavix and aspirin) and one anti-coagulant (warfarin).

If I had contracted dengue fever, a condition that reduces platelet count, I would have been at risk for brain hemorrhaging or whatever.

The sneezing of blood sounds more dramatic than it really was - basically I was sneezing up phlegm that had some traces of blood in it. Quite a bit, but not dripping with blood. And tonight, the bleeding stopped.

Furthermore, I exhibited none of the symptoms of brain hemorrhaging - no dizzy spells, no headaches, etc.

The flu almost incapacitated me anyway. I treat it like I treat any other flu viruses - I ignored it and I avoided people. When you're infected, you should quarantine yourself.

I didn't stop going for assignments, though I did let up on writing. This week proved to be filled with a variety of events, interviews and other things.

This is the kind of thing you watch out for when you're on some types of dangerous medication. Warfarin was, at one point, rat poison. The six types of meds I'm on for my heart condition meant I have to be extra vigilant and educate myself constantly. I fucking read fucking medical journals.

For example, recently I started eating blue cheese because a study in Norway suggested that blue cheese such as Roquefort, danish blue and soft cheeses such as Camembert have these anti-inflammatory things that are good for the heart.

I just have to ensure the saturated fat doesn't kill me, so everything in moderation, to achieve the desired balance.

Some friends have asked about losing weight and my take on it is simple:

1. Portioning

Regardless of what you eat, you have to control the portions. This requires a lot of self-control. If you don't have it, you're doomed to being fat and sick.

2. Choice

You need to choose the right food. I go for high fibre most of the time. I don't eat fast food or anything too salty, too oily, too sweet or too stupid.

3. Timing

I don't eat past 10pm, unless I did not have dinner on that day, which is rare. I sleep at 12 or so.

And then there's exercise. I couldn't exercise this week because of my flu. Fucking flu.

Anyway, the second comic book by Maple Comics is out and it looks better than I expected.

Two dear friends are getting married this weekend and I have to find their wedding gift tomorrow.

But first, some rest. I need to recuperate from this goddamn flu.